Milestones restaurants recently added this gluten-free dish to their menu and it quickly became a guest favorite. This option offers individuals with gluten intolerance an exciting new meal to embrace. Spicy Harissa Chicken features Ancho Chilli spiced grilled chicken breast inspired by the Tunisian region of North Africa. The dish is layered with creamy Fontina cheese and drizzled with a lemon mint yogurt. Paired with quinoa pilaf and seasonal vegetables, this meal is packed with flavour and protein. You can enjoy it at your local Milestones restaurant or, to ensure a contamination-free environment (especially important for those with celiac disease), the GI Society teamed up with Milestones to provide you with this recipe so you can make the dish at home.
“Food is changing and so are we. People with dietary concerns should not have to settle for bland, mundane food. At Milestones there are numerous gluten-free menu options that offer palates of all types familiar food with a twist.” Jason Rosso – Executive Chef, Milestones Bar & Grill
For one serving
|1||boneless, skinless chicken breast|
|4 tsp (divided)||Harissa marinade (see below)|
|3 tbsp shredded||Fontina cheese|
|¾ cup||cooked quinoa|
|1 cup||small carrots and green beans (or other seasonal vegetables)|
|3 tbsp||lemon mint yogurt*|
|optional||red pepper (julienne) and radish sprouts for garnish|
* 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt, with the juice of half a small lemon and 4-5 mint leaves thinly chopped
- Pound the chicken breast and grill until cooked
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the quinoa, following the instructions on the package.
- Once cooked, brush the chicken breast evenly on both sides with 3 teaspoons of the Harissa marinade.
- Broil in a preheated oven for about one minute.
- Slice the chicken breast in half to achieve two equal-sized pieces. Lay the chicken breast pieces on top of each other with the Fontina cheese in the center. Set aside.
- Sauté or steam the seasonal vegetables.
- Place the quinoa in the center and the vegetables around, as shown in the image.
- Drizzle the plate with the remaining teaspoon of the Harissa marinade.
- Place the Harissa chicken stack on top of the quinoa.
- Garnish chicken with a dollop of lemon mint yogurt, followed by julienne red pepper and radish sprouts.
|1 tbsp||crushed red chilli flakes|
|1-2||whole garlic cloves|
|1 tsp||coarse salt|
|⅓ cup||olive oil|
|½ tbsp||lime juice|
|½ tbsp||ancho chilli powder|
- In a blender, add the crushed chili flakes, garlic, salt and oil, and puree until smooth and consistent in colour.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend for 2 minutes to ensure even consistency.
This recipe makes enough marinade for 6 servings of Spicy Harissa Chicken! Refrigerate the leftover marinade immediately in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Per 1 serving (recipe makes 1 serving)
|Fat (g)Saturated (g) 8.0 Trans (g) 0.5||41|
|Carbohydrate (g)Fibre (g) 7 Sugar (g) 5||58|
|Vitamins and Minerals (% of daily value)|